Afternoon Tea is a tea-related ritual, introduced in Britain in the early 1840s. It all came about because Anna, the 7th Duchess of Bedford was said to have complained of “having that sinking feeling” during the late afternoon. The solution to this was a pot of tea and a light snack during the afternoon.
Afternoon Tea is traditionally composed of sandwiches (cut delicately into ‘fingers’), scones with clotted cream and jam, sweet pastries and cakes, and a pot of tea enjoyed with a group of friends or family members.
Combe House Hotel, Devon has become famous for their fabulous afternoon cream teas and looking at their menu its not hard to work out why.
The Combe’s Full Afternoon Cream Teas includes:
– Smoked salmon & cream cheese sandwiches & the essence of an English tea – cucumber sandwiches
– Freshly baked fruit scone, Devon clotted cream & Chef’s jam made from Combe’s Mara des Bois strawberries
– Homemade buttery shortbread & really chocolatey choc-chip cookies
– “Fancies” made fresh daily in Combe’s kitchen– for example, éclairs, fruit tartlets & chocolate brownies
– Your choice of:
– Pot of loose leaf, fruit or herbal tea / cafetière of fairtrade coffee / hot chocolate
Due to the popularity of these afternoon teas it is highly recommended that you book your place in advance. Full Afternoon Teas are available Monday to Saturday between 3.30pm and 5pm.
Langtry Manor Hotel, Bournemouth are offering an amazing champagne afternoon tea at a great price especially for Mother’s Day. The tea will be enjoyed in the beautiful lounge and will include:
A Selection of Finger Sandwiches
– Smoked Salmon
– Egg Mayonnaise & Cucumber
– Home Cooked Gammon Ham & Mustard
– Tuna Mayonnaise & Sweetcorn
– Cream Cheese & Chive
A Selection of Freshly Made Cakes
– Dorset Apple
– Lemon Drizzle
– Vanilla Cheesecake Pot
– Scones with Lashings of Clotted Cream & Jam
And a Selection of Twinings Teas
– English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Green, Herbal & Fruit Selection and a Selection of Coffees are also available
This champagne afternoon tea will cost only £20 per person and your mum will also receive a free gift. Bookings are being taken at 12.30pm, 2.30pm & 4.30pm
The Linthwaite House Hotel, Windermere serve a delicious afternoon tea in the Edwardian Country House with stunning views across Lake Windermere.
The Unstuffy Full Afternoon Tea includes:
– Cafetière of freshly ground coffee or pot of tea. Or if you prefer choose from our selection of loose leaf or fruit teas: Assam, Camomile, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Peppermint and Green Tea, Orange, Mango and Cinnamon, Cranberry, Raspberry and Elderflower.
– Smoked salmon, ham, egg mayonnaise and cucumber finger sandwiches.
– Home-made sultana and plain scones with damson jam and clotted cream.
– Individual yogurt and peach compote.
-Selection of Homemade Cakes: Lemon muffin & Earl Grey syrup, Sticky Toffee Cupcake, Chocolate Brownie, Carrot Cake.
All of this is served either on the terrace overlooking the lake in summer, in the conservatory and verandah with lovely views of the lake and the mountains beyond, or in the lounges with comfy chairs, overstuffed sofas and roaring fires
The Hoste, Burnham Market serve their afternoon tea in comfortable leather sofas and large chairs in the light-filled lounge and conservatory.
You will receive a three tiered cake stand of sandwiches, cakes and scones, with portions of strawberry jam and clotted cream and a choice of blended teas including earl grey, darjeeling, green and fresh mint tea or a selection of infusions including cranberry, raspberry and elderflower.
The afternoon tea at The Hoste is served from: 3.00 pm – 5.30 pm every day and they recommend you call to reserve a space.
Spending the afternoon with your mother eating delicious cakes and sandwiches with a piping hot cup of tea really does sound like the perfect way to celebrate Mothers Day.
To see all of the FIHotels who serve afternoon teas click here.« View all blog articles.